Tips to Improve your happiness from around the World - April 2012
Places around the globe where people are 'lightest of heart' have some insight into feeling happier.
1. Don't complain (too much) about high taxes
- Though you may grumble somewhat, do so only briefly. Denmark is a case in point; almost half of its annual budget goes towards levelling its residents' "playing field". Noted as one world's wealthier nations per capita, it is ranked the highest for well-being. The Danes' happiness is about satisfaction and living with good health care, public education and strong family support services. Economic security adds to a greater sense of security.
2. Finish work at 5:00 pm and take all your holidays.
- Studies claim that once income rises above $60,000 a year, more money does not = long-term happiness.
3. Appreciate your freedom
- Political and economic freedom to go out and get a loan to start a business are two points that many North Americans take for granted. Get out and vote!
4. Support walk-ways and bike lanes
- The “walkability “ and ease of getting around a city promotes health and well-being and healthier, happier people.
5. Stay cozy in the colder months
- The Danes have a strategy to deal with the shorter, winter days called “hygge” which means the “art of relaxing in a warm and cozy environment”. Light candles and make your home a comfy retreat from the outdoors. In Canada it’s know as “voluntary hibernation”.
6. Say “no” to drive-through restaurants
- Though this may seem to be somewhat prohibitive, choosing alternatives to drive-throughs promotes healthier choices.
7. Keep shopping hours to a minimum
- Purchasing a new item may give you an “acquisition high” but it is usually short lived. Instead, limit shopping hours to free up more time to pursue more rewarding activities like volunteering or exercising.
8. Live a quiet, safe neighbourhood
- Research has shown that a barrier to exercise is perceived danger. People generally adapt well to many things, but not to noise. Your mood can affected by the dog barking in the apartment next door.
- Chat with friends over a cup of tea or a glass of wine - some happiness tips are obvious!
Copyright © 2004- 2011 OKinHealth.com. This article is of the copyright of OK in Health and the author; any reproduction, duplication and transmission of the article are to have prior written approval by OK in Health or the author.
This information and research is intended to be reliable, but its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All material in this article is provided for information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. No action or inaction should be taken based solely on the contents of this newsletter / e-magazine / website. Readers should consult their doctor and other qualified health professionals on any matter relating to their health and well-being. The information and opinions provided in this newsletter / e-magazine/website are believed to be accurate and sound, based on the best judgment available to the authors. Readers who fail to consult with appropriate health authorities assume the risk of any injuries. The publisher is not responsible for any errors or omissions. OK in Health is not responsible for the information in these articles or for any content included in this article which is intended as a guide only and should not be used as a substitute to seeking professional advice from either your doctor or a registered specialist for yourself or anyone else.
Connect with Us
|Stay Safe on the Basketball Court|
|Do you know anyone who plays basketball? Avoid injuries on the court by wearing the proper shoes. Good basketball shoes increase shock absorption and supply appropriate traction. They help reduce the amount of stress normally transmitted to the knees.|
|Body-Wize with Ross Short CHP|
|Specialty: Structural Integration - Deep Tissue|
Body-Wize is a unique blend of four, stand alone, healing modalities: Hellerwork Structural Integration, Pilates Movement, Whole Body Vibration and Energy Work.
|Ancient Celtic Vibrational Course ~ with Ireland's Jane Donald & Maria O’Farrell Carr|
|Date: Jun 16, 2015|
Location: Penticton & South Okanagan
The INTENTION of this workshop is to pass on experience of how to increase your vibration/energy and awarness. Jane is one of Ireland's well known Vibrational healers and teachers. This course is open to Men and women. Everyone welcome.
|Archangel Ariel 101|
|Each month we will look at one of our Archangels or a Goddess or Ascended Master. The intent is that we discuss and get to know one archangel a month. Over the month, we invite that angel or goddess to come be with us and to guide us in our daily lives. We will look at ways to invite them to work with us, some sample affirmations to use daily, what crystal to use and hopefully give us a chance to get to know each one a little better. This month we will start with Archangel Ariel...|
|Gluten-Free Vegan Pizza|
Description: A tasty, vegan and gluten-free pizza crust recipe can be tricky to find. Chef Morgan has shared another of her delicious recipes with the Vega News subscribers—her top-secret pizza dough! It makes the perfect foundation for all your favorite plant-based toppings (we used sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, fresh basil, and a balsamic reduction).