Tips to Improve your happiness from around the World - April 2012
Places around the globe where people are 'lightest of heart' have some insight into feeling happier.
1. Don't complain (too much) about high taxes
- Though you may grumble somewhat, do so only briefly. Denmark is a case in point; almost half of its annual budget goes towards levelling its residents' "playing field". Noted as one world's wealthier nations per capita, it is ranked the highest for well-being. The Danes' happiness is about satisfaction and living with good health care, public education and strong family support services. Economic security adds to a greater sense of security.
2. Finish work at 5:00 pm and take all your holidays.
- Studies claim that once income rises above $60,000 a year, more money does not = long-term happiness.
3. Appreciate your freedom
- Political and economic freedom to go out and get a loan to start a business are two points that many North Americans take for granted. Get out and vote!
4. Support walk-ways and bike lanes
- The “walkability “ and ease of getting around a city promotes health and well-being and healthier, happier people.
5. Stay cozy in the colder months
- The Danes have a strategy to deal with the shorter, winter days called “hygge” which means the “art of relaxing in a warm and cozy environment”. Light candles and make your home a comfy retreat from the outdoors. In Canada it’s know as “voluntary hibernation”.
6. Say “no” to drive-through restaurants
- Though this may seem to be somewhat prohibitive, choosing alternatives to drive-throughs promotes healthier choices.
7. Keep shopping hours to a minimum
- Purchasing a new item may give you an “acquisition high” but it is usually short lived. Instead, limit shopping hours to free up more time to pursue more rewarding activities like volunteering or exercising.
8. Live a quiet, safe neighbourhood
- Research has shown that a barrier to exercise is perceived danger. People generally adapt well to many things, but not to noise. Your mood can affected by the dog barking in the apartment next door.
- Chat with friends over a cup of tea or a glass of wine - some happiness tips are obvious!
Copyright © 2004- 2011 OKinHealth.com. This article is of the copyright of OK in Health and the author; any reproduction, duplication and transmission of the article are to have prior written approval by OK in Health or the author.
This information and research is intended to be reliable, but its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All material in this article is provided for information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. No action or inaction should be taken based solely on the contents of this newsletter / e-magazine / website. Readers should consult their doctor and other qualified health professionals on any matter relating to their health and well-being. The information and opinions provided in this newsletter / e-magazine/website are believed to be accurate and sound, based on the best judgment available to the authors. Readers who fail to consult with appropriate health authorities assume the risk of any injuries. The publisher is not responsible for any errors or omissions. OK in Health is not responsible for the information in these articles or for any content included in this article which is intended as a guide only and should not be used as a substitute to seeking professional advice from either your doctor or a registered specialist for yourself or anyone else.
Connect with Us
|Vitamin D aids in the absorption of dietary calcium which is essential for bone health. Recent research even finds that it can help fight infections. The body also makes it after exposure to sunlight. If you feel you might not be getting enough vitamin D, or if you are thinking of taking a supplement, consult your physician, naturopath, local health store, or a dietitian.|
|Bernice Granger ~ Love's Divine Light ~ Be the Love and Light You Are! |
|Specialty: Angel Empowerment Practitioner|
Vibrational Healing, Angel Card Readings, Reconnective Healing™ & The Reconnection®, Workshops. Helping you find your way with Compassion and Love, Aligning you to your Life's Journey!
|Kelowna Wellness Fair|
|Date: Oct 25, 2014|
Location: Kelowna & Central Okanagan
This is the sister fair to the Vernon Body and Soul Wellness Fair. The Vernon event is beginning of March, the Kelowna event in October.
|Creating Opportunities for Yourself!|
|“You have to create opportunities for yourself,” said Dyer. “I shoveled snow, or delivered papers because I wanted some spending money but nobody would give it to me. A lot of people have a sense-of-entitlement mentality that somebody else ought to do these things for them. Here are some of Dyer’s tips for manifesting your dreams.....|
|Boerenkool - Mashed Potatoes and Kale|
|Category: Vegetarian Entrees|
Description: Boerenkool pronounced "booren-kohl" (a Dutch word which means Farmer's Cabbage. This a recipe for Mashed Potatoes and Kale. The absolute best way to eat KALE! Even your kids will LOVE this one.
Traditionally this is served with sausages or meatballs and gravy in the Netherlands, but I'm quite "anti-nitrites" now and so vegetarians can improvise with ground-round (tofu) meatballs etc and pour some Udo's oil on top instead of gravy. I warn you you're be asked to make it again and again.