|OK In Health - Healing Yourself Naturally|
Why Breast is Best! - May 2013
With the recent addition of the rotavirus vaccine (Rotarix) for gastroenteritis into the BC Immunization schedule for infants, I feel that it is time to re-visit the benefits of breast-feeding. Whether you decide to immunize your child with traditional vaccinations is up to you. This article is not about that.
The goal of this article is to illustrate the benefits of breast-feeding and how, with the modern day convenience of formula and possibly the false sense of security with immunizations, it appears to have become a lost art.
The first healthy step in any infant’s life should still be breastmilk. We give babies immunizations so that they are able to defend themselves against the real infection. Breastmilk also helps the baby to fight off infections. When the baby fights off these infections, he becomes immune. Naturally.
Benefits to the Baby:
- Children receive the most complete and optimal mix of nutrients and antibodies.
- Have fewer incidences of vomiting and diarrhea and protection against gastroenteritis.
- Reduced risk of chronic constipation, colic, and other stomach upsets.
- Reduced risk of childhood diabetes and childhood obesity.
- Protection against ear infections, respiratory illnesses, pneumonia, bronchitis, kidney infections, allergies, asthma, eczema, and severity of allergic disease.
- Decreased risk of tooth decay (cavities) and increased bone density.
- Nursing promotes facial structure development, enhanced speech, straighter teeth, and enhances vision.
- Breastfed infants develop higher IQ's, and have improved brain and nervous system development.
- Reduced risk of heart disease later in life.
- Antibody response to vaccines are higher.
- Are hospitalized ten times less than formula fed infants in the first year of life.
- The colostrum (first milk) coats the GI tract, preventing harmful bacteria and allergy -triggering protein molecules from crossing into baby's blood.
- Decreased risk for vitamin E and Iron deficiency anemia.
Benefits to Mom:
- Reduced risk of breast, ovarian, cervical, and endometrial cancers.
- Reduced risk of anemia.
- Protection against osteoporosis and hip fracture later in life.
- Helps the mother's body return to its pre-pregnancy state faster by promoting healthy weight loss. Half of the calories needed to manufacture milk is pulled from fat stores, which can burn from 500 to 1,500 calories per day.
- Helps delay return of fertility and to space subsequent pregnancies.
- Develops a special emotional relationship and bonding with her child.
- Breastmilk is free, which reduces or eliminates the cost of formula and supplies.
- Breastfed babies are sick less thus reducing healthcare costs to family in Doctor office visits, prescriptions, over the counter medicine purchases, and hospitalizations.
- Moms miss less time off from work due to child related illnesses.
Understanding that there are always going to be situations where women can’t breastfeed, such as low milk supply and adoption, it becomes imperative to do your research and find the ‘cleanest’ and ‘safest’ alternative for your baby. There is a great article on the early development of the GI tract and the immune system referenced below. It explains the benefit of introducing certain foods at certain times when your baby’s body is strong enough to handle it. If you’d like to make your own formula, here is one I share with my patients.
GOAT MILK FORMULA
To a 1 L container add:
- 2/3 goat’s milk: 1/3 water
- 1 tbsp black strap molasses
- ½ tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Omega 3 fatty acids or olive oil
- 1 tbsp glutamine powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 capsule of probiotic
I have always loved children and hope to expand my family really soon.
Dr. Melissa's Bio: Raised in Kamloops, BC, Dr. Bradwell graduated from CCNM in Toronto and returned home to work as a Naturopathic Physician in 2006. She offers a variety of services and treatment options for her patients, including IV therapy, acupuncture, botanical medicine, clinical nutrition, hormone and allergy testing. Dr. Bradwell is now practicing downtown Kamloops, she can be reached at (250) 374-9700. - Dr. Melissa Bradwell Website - Email
Copyright © 2004- 2011 OKinHealth.com. This article is of the copyright of OK in Health and the author; any reproduction, duplication and transmission of the article are to have prior written approval by OK in Health or the author.
This information and research is intended to be reliable, but its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All material in this article is provided for information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. No action or inaction should be taken based solely on the contents of this newsletter / e-magazine / website. Readers should consult their doctor and other qualified health professionals on any matter relating to their health and well-being. The information and opinions provided in this newsletter / e-magazine/website are believed to be accurate and sound, based on the best judgment available to the authors. Readers who fail to consult with appropriate health authorities assume the risk of any injuries. The publisher is not responsible for any errors or omissions. OK in Health is not responsible for the information in these articles or for any content included in this article which is intended as a guide only and should not be used as a substitute to seeking professional advice from either your doctor or a registered specialist for yourself or anyone else.
Connect with Us
|Symptoms of a stroke |
|Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke. Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions: Ask the individual to SMILE. Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (ie. It is sunny out today) If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.|
|SafeZone EMF Consulting|
|Specialty: Environment Care|
SafeZone EMF Consulting is a full-service detection and protection facility for EMF radiation exposure. Every aspect is accurately analyzed and recommendations for complete protection are provided.
|Rapid Restriction Release Techniques - 2 day courses or on-line course|
|Date: Aug 29, 2015|
Location: Kelowna & Central Okanagan
This 2 day course workshop is offered in February, May, August and November and is online (as of March 1, 2015). Three packages: Bronze; Silver and Gold
|You are the creator of your own life |
|It is the awareness that you are the creator of your life, that your life is the divine flow of energy in your life, one and the same, flowing through every essence of your divine being. Allow creation; know that you create, every moment of everyday from your birth to your death, to your life after death.|
|Raw Tabouli salad|
|Category: Raw Foods|
Description: It is simply YUM, fresh, super easy, and wait until you hear of the benefits!
PARSLEY: This herb has so many health benefits. Parsley is rich in the beauty Vitamins A and C, folic acid, and has flavonoids that act as antioxidants- which put the kibosh on free radicals creating damage to the cells. Parsley is also very high in iron, and the high vitamin C content assists the absorption of iron. It is a blood purifier and helps to kill bacteria in the body. Parsley is an excellent digestion restorative remedy. It improves the digestion of proteins and fats, and because of its high enzyme content, parsley benefits digestive activity and elimination. It also helps cleanse the liver of toxins and rejuvenates it.
If that weren’t enough, parsley is also high in B12, chlorophyll and essential fatty acids- and helps balance hormones in women! Now I bet you think of parsley as more than that a dinky garnish you push to the side of your plate.