Wild mushrooms are the best non-animal source of vitamin D going and some have the added benefit of vitamins B and C as well. They are also a good source of antioxidants such as polyphenols that have been linked with cancer-risk reduction and antiaging.
To prevent mushroom poisoning, mushroom gatherers need to be very intimately familiar with the mushrooms they intend to collect, including knowledge of the toxic species that look similar to these edible species. Best buy from a trusted health store or supermarket.
1 cup Arborio rice ( or barley)
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 cups of sliced wild mushrooms,
3 to 4 cups stock - veggie
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon of olive oil
¾ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bunch cilantro, rough chopped.
1. In a large skillet place oil, shallots and garlic, sauté gently till onion is tender.
2. Add rice and mix well with onion ensuring to coat each grain of rice in the oil.
3. Add the ½ the mushrooms and some stock, stirring constantly, the object is to have the rice absorb the stock before adding more stock.
4. Add seasoning and continue adding stock until rice is 2/3 rds cooked.
5. Add remaining mushrooms and more stock till rice is completely cooked and tender.
6. Add cream and cheese, mix well.
7. Serve with green salad and garnish with chopped cilantro.
8. Cooking the rice will take approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
Stirring the skillet constantly will ensure the rice stays separate and does not stick
Special Diet: Vegetarian
Category: Vegetarian Entrees
Submitted By: OK In Health
Connect with Us
|Did you know that most sodas contain about 6 teaspoons of sugar per 8 oz. of drink? Instead of soda, try tea without sugar or plain water with a slice of lemon.|
|El Colibri: Pathways of Love and Light|
|Specialty: Body Talk|
Rae-Marie Leggott offers Body Talk Sessions, AAEP Angel Card Readings, and Assemblage Point Adjustments
|Monster Energy Center of Gravity|
|Date: Jul 24, 2015|
Location: Kelowna & Central Okanagan
The Okanagan’s biggest adrenaline-fueled sports and music festival is back for its 8th year! Monster Energy Center of Gravity will return to Kelowna’s City Park, July 24 – 26, 2015.
|Dealing with Difficult Times|
|What do we do when we are faced with a crisis? How do we deal with the fear and anxiety that wreaks havoc in our minds?|
|“Raw” Corn Chips|
|Category: Raw Foods|
Description: Corn nutritionally, it contains folate, phosphorus, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, manganese, protein, potassium, fiber, thiamine, and panthotenic acid. It also has Vitamins A, C, E and K. That's an impressive list of nutrients.